Get Your Prior Years Tax Information from the IRS

Sometimes taxpayers need a copy of an old tax return, but can’t find or
don’t have their own records. There are three easy and convenient options for
getting tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts from the IRS: on the
web, by phone or by mail. There are eight things you need to know about getting
federal tax return information from a previously filed tax return.

1. You can order transcripts online or by phone for the current tax year as
well as the past three tax years. Earlier tax years must be requested with Form
4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript.

2. A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return as it
was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does
not reflect any changes made after the return was filed.

3. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the
IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data,
including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and
taxable income.

4. To request either transcript online from this website use our online tool
called Order a Transcript. To order by phone, call 800-908-9946 and follow the
prompts in the recorded message. When you use these automated self-service
options, the selected transcript will be mailed to your current address of
record. To have your transcript mailed to a different address, complete and
mail Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. The IRS does not charge
a fee for transcripts.

5. To request a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ tax return transcript through the
mail, complete IRS Form 4506T-EZ. Businesses, partnerships and individuals who
need transcript information from other forms or need a tax account transcript
must use the Form 4506T.

6. If you order online or by phone, you should receive your tax return
transcript within five to 10 calendar days from the time the IRS receives your
request. Allow 30 calendar days for delivery of a tax account transcript if you
order by mail using Form 4506T or Form 4506T-EZ.

7. If you still need an actual copy of a previously processed tax return, it
will cost $57 for each tax year you order. Complete Form 4506, Request for Copy
of Tax Return, and mail it to the IRS address listed on the form for your
area.  Copies are generally available for the current year as well as the
past six years. Please allow 60 days for actual copies of your return.

8. Visit this website to determine which form will meet your needs. Forms
4506, 4506T and 4506T-EZ can be downloaded or by calling the IRS forms and
publications order line at 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).